[FPS Maker] Custom FPS Game Engine

What is FPS Maker

FPS Maker is a FPS game engine with no coding knowledge requirements designed for absolute newbies in game development, it looks like more a game with its own map editor.
FPS Maker is written in C++ and uses Irrlicht for the rendering part and OpenAL for the audio part.

I started working on it 3 months ago, of course it is still under development and my free time will be highly shortened soon, so progress will be slow but I will try to add/improve features depending on my free time.

So this is how FPS Maker looks like for now, hoping I will have enough time to post updates.

Main Features

  • Editor
    • Map editing
    • Play current map from editor
    • Build game in a standalone format
    • Tile based navigation graph generation (automatic)
    • Browse custom game assets
  • Game
    • Basic FPS 3C
    • Weapons
    • AI based on state machines
    • Path finding based on A* algorithm
    • Batching for static geometry
    • Dynamic per pixel lighting (using a custom shader, not the Irrlicht built in one)
    • 2D/3D audio using OpenAL library

Showcase














Comments

  1. Excellent game engine. How hard was it to make this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks.

    The work already done on the engine wasn't so hard but very instructive. Irrlicht helps me a lot, I don't have to deal with the graphics API like D3D or OpenGL (excepts for the shaders) and it also provides scene management to (scene node tree etc). I work on the engine by iteration, it is most long to get a nice result than hard.
    Most of the difficulty has been reduced thanks to the engine design: the easiest possible tool. But it has a cost: the engine is not generic at all and limited.

    I also avoided some major obstacles: static lighting and shadows. Making a light / shadow mapping tool is very difficult and out of my knowledges to be honest.

    There is a lot of work to do on it, and I'm already developping new features for a future version, and may be some day a release.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you make it available for download?

    ReplyDelete
  4. While all of us would be aware in a general way what MMA Gear is, many of us might be surprised at the kinds of fight wear that falls under this category.
    Custom Iron On Patches

    ReplyDelete
  5. These assets are from another program called fps creator made by "the game creators" company. FPS creator went open source so the guy probably changed some things here and there and made this crap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked weapons assets (others are mine and/or picked on the web) from FPSC as it's difficult to deal with the .X format nowadays (irrlicht uses this format too for animated mehes), but I didn't use the source code from FPSC.

      I built it on my own using C++ and irrlicht (while FPSC is directly based on Dark Basic Pro, their own language, and on the D3D API), but I was totally inspired by what the TGC team did on FPSC to make this. Be sure I have too much respect for those guys to steal their work, they contributes to help me become a game programmer.

      That's said, glad to see an old user of FPSC here ;)

      Delete
  6. This is a good post. This post gives truly quality information. I’m definitely going to look into it. Really very useful tips are provided here. Thank you so much. Keep up the good works visit this site

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

[UE4][Shader] Post process: tresholded black and white with sobel edge

[Unity][Shader] Night Vision